Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Garden: 2010

I'm getting ready to begin my 2010 garden (again, slightly late, but I have a plan this year for my procrastination) and was going through pictures to post up from last year's yeild. Nothing. Couldn't find my pictures. But I did find these 2 from my cellphone...

This is a picture of my basement "grow-op" setup. Not too pretty, I know, but it's simple and functional. It did get me some good starts last year. This year I have a new method to start and am planning on turning my basement operation into a hydroponics setup. Shouldn't be too difficult. I will keep you posted, though. You can see my pulley system in the above picture, but what is not visible is my timer and heater.

This picture is the small (but tasty) yield that sprouted up in the short week in July we visited Canada. When I left there was nothing much to speak of, but when I returned, we had a nice little harvest. Keep in mind I use Mel Bartholemew's Square Foot Gardening System, which allows for smaller yields sporadically over the season instead of a ton of veggies once, at the end of the growing season.

I am ordering from a catalog from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds this year. These seeds are (obviously) heirloom, non treated, non patented and guaranteed to be 100% GMO (genetically mutated organism) free. The selection of seeds they have is amazing, dating back hundreds of years. Check out the site for yourself! Its good to find a company out there that is defending our ability to have and store safe seeds. With companies such as Monsanto taking over the seed stores, it might not always be this easy.

No comments: