Monday, September 11, 2006

Murder...part II

We have mice. Or... we had them.

I heard the scurrying of tiny mice feet a couple weeks ago, but without further evidence, I dismissed it as ghosts. (I'd rather have ghosts than mice any day.) Then yesterday morning I woke up and found mouse poop in my silverware drawer. A LOT of it. (Which sort of makes me wonder where they've been pooping up until Saturday night.) Anyways, Liv reminded me of a couple mouse traps in the garage, so I took matters into my own hands, setting the traps loaded with, what else-- cheese. Since I've never set mouse traps, and I was pretty sure only cartoon mice really like cheese, I never expected to actually catch anything. Imagine my surprise then, when, this morning, I found a (very large) mouse dead in one of my traps! (They DO like cheese!)

Once it registered that there was a dead mouse in the trap, I closed the door and ran away. I have a feeling it died a terrible death, by the looks of things. The picture is burnt into my head: the trap was snapped over his eyes, and there is a puddle of dried blood on the cheese from his nose. Oh, Gawd, how tragic.

First birds, then mice. Karma will catch up with me eventually, I'm sure of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh! what a nightmare!

the monthly exterminator this weekend asked me, ever so calmly "seen any mice?" to which I shrieked, "there are not mice in this bldg!" turns out- my upstairs neighbor has them.. (on the 5th floor? can mice scale walls or something?)

anyway, now mom tells me she heard scurrying the other night.

that is just fabulous. i'm never sleeping again!

Sarah said...

Hey, I'm just glad I'm in Ohio. If I ever saw a cockroach, I'd die. Really.