Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Big Brother

I went to Kroger's today to buy some cold & allergy medicine, and I was accosted by Big Brother twice. First was when I was innocently attempting to procure myself a box (a small one) of Sudafed. I had to take a little card from the shelf and give it to the pharmacist. She then asked me for my identification, and proceeded to enter my most personal information into a computer. I informed her that there were a hundred other ways to get high in those aisles, that sudafed was the least of her worries. No, she said- it's to keep people from making meth. Oh. Gotcha. Keep up the good work! The second time was whilst I was in the process of paying for my sudafed and merlot.

I have been going to the self checkout lane because I am insane from hearing the cashier ask for my Kroger card and wait. All my purchases are piling up on the conveyor belt, and she's still waiting for my card. I ignore her, because I like swiping it at the end; it makes me feel like I saved more money, watching all the cents drop off one after another. This showdown always ends poorly one way or another. So, I now go to the self checkout lane. This time, the scanner jams up (again) and the lady in charge of all the self checkout lanes has to come over and push some buttons on my screen. And then she says, "OH! I see the problem- you haven't swiped your Kroger card yet!" "No," I say, "I don't WANT to swipe it yet..." "Oh..." she says, and retreats.

The thing is, I don't even use MY Kroger card, I always use my mom's number (Helpful hint #1- if you forget your Kroger Card, you can enter in your 10 digit phone number into the keypad instead.) because I don't trust the personalized computer generated coupon mailing I get every so often. That means they give my shopping too much thought. I just don't want them knowing how much sudafed, or alcohol, or fertalizer...or gunpowder...I buy. And to trick me into using this big brother card as the only way I can save money is just sad. But since I'm boycotting Wal-Mart and Meijers, and Great Scot is overpriced, and since I live in a non-cultural city, and these are my only choices, I drop my head in defeat. But when my mom gets arrested by the government illegally wiretapping her Kroger Card activities, I shall say I told you so.

No comments: