Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I got a promotion! I got a promotion!

So now I'm actually telling the truth now when I say I'm BVH's new "General Surgery Specialty Coordinator Nurse".

And, no, I won't be abbreviating that. The funny thing is, all it's really good for is a nice title for another resume, not that surgery jobs are hard to come by- I think they turn over nearly as fast as the fast food industry. Why, you ask? Well, being able to survive surgery is mastered by perfecting the skill of taking and giving out perfect balances of shit, and being on your toes at all times. Ok, sure- and you have to be able to look at a person's insides, but none of that matters if you don't have that skill.

General surgery is actually pretty gravy once you get the hang of it. And I can come home and say, "Oh Gawd, I had such a terrible day at work, we had a guy with dead bowel come in coding, we took out 400cm of small bowel, half of his colon, his gallbladder, his appendix, and left him wide open so we could come back tomorrow and put him back together," and if I get to the end of that story (which I usually don't) I can usually pull off an easy, "get me my dinner- I'm parking it for the night" type of a thing, and there's no questions asked. I even sometimes get a good backrub out of the whole thing.

Honestly, though, this is a pretty cool deal, and if I hadn't just posted the whole story an hour ago and had it deleted mysteriously, it'd probably be a lot more interesting to read.

No comments: