Sunday, March 08, 2009

Quick Garden Update

I'm not feeling really hot, but I wanted to post a quick update before I pass out for the night.

I noticed one of my broccoli plants poking up today. Otherwise nothing has grown yet. I planted lettuce today, 4 plants, because I plant 4 per square foot. I planted 2 of each of the tomatoes I chose: Brandywine, Earlygirl, and Beefmaster. Hopefully all 6 will take, but if not I'll be happy with one plant each. Especially since I'm sure Brandon will plant his own. It's his only garden contribution every year. All these I planted from seed in a peat pod.

My plans for tomorrow were to hook up my fluorescent lighting setup. But we got so much rain this weekend that our basement is taking on more water than we can pump out. So with 4 inches of water in the basement, I'm not sure I want to fool around with electricity quite yet. But I'm worried I will get that started a bit too late to accomplish what I'd hoped. But we'll see. The rain is supposed to stop late tonight.

I'm scheduled to plant outdoors on March 18th, so I need to get my garden prepared. If I can get the soil dried up enough, I'll dump some compost and peat (at least in the most clay ridden of the 3 SFG) so I can start planting in 10 days! Did I mention yet that I have onions sprouting from last year? Japanese onions that apparently have been kicking ass for the past month or so. But I have a lot of work to do on those gardens before I can accomplish anything, so I'm crossing my fingers for no more rain!

Well, not much excitement, obviously, but a little progress, anyways. So, I'm off to bed... until next time...

No comments: