Sunday, March 15, 2009

Garden: March 15th, 2009 Part 1

I was able to get outside today to do some spring cleaning in my garden... Unfortunately last year I didn't prepare for spring as much as I'd thought. Part of my problem is that I still don't have a stomach for killing anything by pulling it up, so I let id die off and by the time it's dead, it's too cold and I don't want to do anything when it's cold (I'm a sissy when it comes to winter). Hopefully this year I'll be better. I took some pictures of before and after the cleaning, maybe it'll make me feel as if I've accomplished something!

Looking west...You can see the remnants of my peppers, and those Japanese onions that surprised me early this spring. Also in the background is my hanging tomato project that was knocked over this winter by strong storms. What a mess.

After I cleaned it all up... Not sure how to get all the leaf debris off my stone. I have the same problem all over my yard, and it doesn't matter how much I rake, there's always leaves because we have so much fencing. I'll be honest, though, I didn't rake anything out of my garden last fall. The closest SFG has a lot of clay in it that I attempted to break up last year. I added quite a bit of peat but it's still very thick. The second has a little clay in it and the furthest garden has the best consistency out of the three.


Looking east...A shot from the other end. To the left of the picture is an area I had sectioned off for perennial food, such as asparagus, strawberries, and rhubarb. I asked my hubby to pick up some steel pipe last year for my trellis and he picked up PVC. I worked with it, though, and it worked alright. It did move with the wind quite a bit, but that never affected my peas.

All cleaned up. Hopefully now the soil will dry out so I can start planting soon. I'm scheduled to plant outdoors on the 18th. The weather report says it will be nice (in the 60's!) this week until Wednesday when it is supposed to rain. I may plant on Tuesday if I can get the soil dried up and workable. I'm still wondering what to do with those onions. They're a little soggy and sad looking but I'm having trouble just pulling them up...


No comments: